From The Wheeler Report Blog
This week Gwyn interviews three legislators and one village administrator about water quality issues in Wisconsin. Gwyn starts off the...
This week on #LocalGovMatters Gwyn talks with Rob Henken, President of the Wisconsin Policy Forum about their recent report Dollars and Sense, Is it time for a new municipal financing framework in Wisconsin?...
Wednesday March 20, 2019 - Updated 2:18pm
- Plumbers Union Local 75. Statement on Building Commission and Governor's Capital Budget.
- Wisconsin Laborers District Council. Statement on State Building Commission review of Governor Evers' Capital Budget.
- Wisconsin Building Trades Council. Governor Evers' Capital Budget deserves bi-partisan support today.
- IBEW Local 494. Statement on upcoming vote on proposed 2019-21 state Capital Budget.
- IUOE Local 139. State Building Commission should pass Governor Evers' beneficial statewide Capital Budget, embrace bi-partisanship.
- Association of Wisconsin Tourism Attractions. Poll finds broad support for minimum markeup repeal and new spending to fix Wisconsin roads. Results.
- Hudson Star-Observer. Mental health 'most certainly a concern' at UWRF.
- WTMJ. Gov. Tony Evers wants to raise state unemployment benefits.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. UW chancellors: Evers budget could keep talent in Wisconsin.
- Green Bay Press Gazette. 'We have a long way to go': Gov. Tony Evers outlines priorities for youth mental health.
- Madison.com. As Wisconsin discusses medical marijuana, experts share highs and lows.
- Beloit Daily News. Evers touts budget plans in Beloit stop.
- Sen. Feyen. To hold budget listening sessions.
- Rep. Allen. To hold public listening session.
- Midwest Environmental Advocates. Calls for amendments to SB-91 to provide clarity & accountability.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Proposal would eliminate tax break for businesses that leave Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin State Journal. GOP-led panel seeks bipartisan law changes to clean up Wisconsin's water.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Advocates, lawmakers renew push for stricter drunken driving laws in Wisconsin.
- DOT. 2019 Northeast Region Construction Preview.
- DMA. Incident Report #5 - March 2019 Flooding.
- DMA. Annual Governor's Conference on Emergency Management & Homeland Security to highlight communications in times of disaster.
- WFRV. Hortonia residents express "overwhelming disapproval" at plans for new juvenile correction center. Fox 11.
- Cap Times. AG Josh Kaul withdraws Wisconsin from two cases challenging abortion access.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. AG Kaul: Drug epidemic requires treatment, accountability.
- La Crosse Tribune. State tourism secretary designee Sara Meaney: 'It's possible to kick some more butt.'
- The Hill. Trump: China tariffs will remain for 'substantial period of time' even with deal.
- CNBC. 'We're preparing' to build an antitrust case against Goggle similar to Microsoft, Mississippi AG says.
- WI Land+Water. Youth Education Committee hosts 62nd Annual Conservation Awareness Poster and Speaking Contests.
- WI Land+Water. Hosts 66th Annual Conference.
- New York Times. Why is there flooding in Nebraska, South Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin?
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Weather officials: Communities along Mississippi River could see record-setting floods this spring.
- U.S. News & World Report. Report: Some Wisconsin residents face housing cost burden.
- AP. Smoking strong pot daily raises psychosis risk, study finds.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. Christopher Kieninger v. Crown Equipment Corporation.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. In Wisconsin gerrymandering case, Assembly Speaker Robin Vos refuses to testify.
- UW-Stout. Falkner receives March University Staff Appreciation Award.
- UW-Madison. Turn off a light, save a life, says new study.
- UW-Stout. 'E'ffordability Summit on education costs grows in third year.
- Marquette University. To host nationally recognized civil engineering speaker for presentations on the Hoover Dam and Brooklyn Bridge.
- One City Schools. Announces partnership with Access Community Health Centers.
- Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office. Warns of telephone scam alert.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Report: Milwaukee County second to last in statewide health rankings.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. One outcome of last week's flooding in Milwaukee: Sewer overflows in local rivers.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Racine, Foxconn strike smart cities deal.
- Appleton Post Crescent. Congressmen Mike Gallagher and Mark Pocan discuss the importance of unity at History Museum in Appleton.
- WXOW. Fort McCoy barracks project may get cut for President's border wall.
- One Wisconsin Now. Brian Hagedorn still mum on what he said in speeches to hate group.
- Republican Party of Fond du Lac County. Republican Party celebrates 165th birthday.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Wisconsin Supreme Court candidates stand by records in second debate. WISC. Fox 6.
- The Hill. Scott Walker considering running for Wisconsin governor or Senate: report.
Tuesday March 19, 2019
- Gov. Evers. Signs Executive Order #17 relating to the creation of the Governor's Health Equity Council.
- Gov. Evers. Advocates for expanding Medicaid in visits to Janesville, Beloit.
- Sen. Taylor. Statement on MSDF death.
- Rep. Shankland. To hold two budget office hours on Friday.
- Americans for Prosperity-Wisconsin. Testimony in support of Senate Bill 39, the Pathways to Employment Act.
- WJFW. Private practitioners push back against dental therapy in Wisconsin.
- NBC 15. GOP bill allows expungement for first-time drunken drivers.
- State Treasurer Godlewski. Financing provided for public safety initiatives around Wisconsin.
- Board of Commissioners of Public Lands. $7 million for community projects.
- DHS. Include children's immunizations on your spring break schedule.
- Wisconsin Lottery. Powerball jackpot surpasses half-billion dollar mark.
- DNR. Weekly news.
- AG Kaul. Opposes CFPB effort to delay protections from payday lenders.
- Wisconsin Historical Society. Hosts 2019 National History Day LaCrosse Regional Contest.
- DATCP. Dairy Task Force 2.0 approves 49 additional recommendations.
- DMA. Incident Report #4 - March 2019 Flooding.
- Racine Journal Times. WisDOT, facing growing backlash over KR widening plans, releases FAQ on project.
- AssuredLeads. Launches SaaS platform.
- WMC. Survey: Opioids impact 75% of workplaces in America.
- CBS 58. Mount Pleasant leaders excited about Foxconn news, some residents frustrated. WTMJ.
- WKBT. Farmers cleaning up after winter disasters can apply for funding for energy-efficient changes.
- AP. AP finds hot records falling twice as often as cold ones.
- AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin. The 33rd annual Make a Promise Gala to honor community leaders in the fight against AIDS.
- Wisconsin Democracy Campaign. Scott Walker's new idiotic job.
- Common Cause in Wisconsin. La Crosse town hall meeting March 25th: Recusal rules & voter turnout in WI Supreme Court election.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. County health rankings: Smoking in Wisconsin down, obesity going up.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin housing sales tick up in February after a January decline.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. Accepts two new cases.
- Wisconsin Democracy Campiagn. State permit for posh golf course lands in sand.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. Milwaukee District Council 48 v. Milwaukee County.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. State v. Joseph B. Reinwand.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. State v. Michael A. Keister.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Supreme Court sides with union in giving Milwaukee County employees $6.8 million pension benefit.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Judge could rule soon in first lame-duck session lawsuit.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Judge rules against DNR wetland permit for Kohler golf course on rare wetlands, state park.
- U.S. News & World Report. Attorney tries to persuade judge to toss lame-duck lawsuit.
- UW-Milwaukee. UWM Police shoot man with weapon after altercation on campus.
- Wisconsin Policy Forum. Another alarming achievement gap.
- Milwaukee Ald. Coggs. Milwaukee student wins Girls' Day @ City Hall scholarship award.
- Manitowoc PD. Seeks public's help in solving double homicide.
- Racine Mayor Mason. And Foxconn partner on Smart City initiatives.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Local officials say county pressuring communities to take on roads - and their cost.
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. Moratorium on large-scale livestock facilities could be extended.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. Helps introduce legislation to take on student debt crisis.
- WXOW. Rep. Kind begins annual listening tour in La Crosse.
- WKOW. Truax Field project on list of possible cuts to pay for border wall.
- Washington Post. Pentagon sends Congress list of military construction projects that could be delayed to free up money for wall.
- DPW. Floundering Hagedorn campaign excoriated by conservative radio.
- One Wisconsin Now. Brian Hagedorn's college classmates saw Wisconsin Supreme Court candidate's political ambition.
- RPW. VIDEO: Pastor Jerome Smith discusses recent attacks on Judge Brian Hagedorn's faith.
- RPW. What they're saying: Hagedorn provides substance while Neubauer dodges questions.
- WSAW. Hagedorn: Research shows treatment courts are effective.