From The Wheeler Report Blog
The Election tables listed below are candidates who have declared candidacy. Please note, the listings are in no particular order,...
As school districts prepare for the 2020-21 school year, some are planning in-person classes, some are planning virtual classes, and...
As child care centers in Wisconsin struggle to stay open, they are looking for guidance on best practices and resources...
Emergency Order #1: Requiring face coverings FAQ
: COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease)
DHS: Outbreaks in Wisconsin (Updated at 2pm daily)
Forward Analytics: Wisconsin COVID-19 Summary
Friday August 14, 2020 - Updated 4:32pm
- Gov. Evers. First Lady Evers announces the Wisconsin 19th Amendment Celebration Committss's next "Women Who Inspire" nominee.
- Gov. Evers. Delivers Democratic Radio Address on the Blue Ribbon Commission on Rural Prosperity.
- Wisconsin AFL-CIO. Releases voting records for 2018 Lame Duck and 2019-2020 State Legislative Sessions.
- Sen. Wirch. Named 2019-2020 "Friend of Public Health."
- Sen. Jacque. GOP weekly Radio Address: Supporting law enforcement.
- Sen. Fitzgerald. Praises President on Israel deal.
- Sen. Marklein. Column: Session recap: Roads.
- Chippewa Herald. Bernier gets prescription for hydroxy.
- DOT. Seeks feedback on public involvement plan for the Wisconsin Rail Plan 2050.
- DOR. Equalized Values Report shows healthy increase in property values.
- DATCP. One week left to apply for Wisconsin Agriculture Youth Council.
- DWD. Youth apprenticeship releases first tier of occupational pathway curriculum modernization.
- DMA. Newly minted circuit court judge and Citizen Soldier serves his state and nation as both a judge and Guardsman.
- DATCP. Alerts consumers to tech support robocalls.
- The Hill. Markets rise as economy struggles; 'It does not make any sense.'
- Reuters. U.S. retail sales rise less than expected in July.
- Washington Post. The recession is over for the rich, but the working class is far from recovered.
- WEAU. The pandemic continues to affect employment in the Chippewa Valley.
- Reuters. U.S. hits fiscal cliff with jobs, economic recovery in the balance.
- A Better Wisconsin Together. Wisconsinites come together to thank Governor Tony Evers to keeping us safe with a mask mandate.
- DMA. County, tribal emergency managers are front line of coordinated response.
- DVA. Letter to King community regarding COVID-19.
- Fox 11. New coronavirus cases, positive test rate return to high levels.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. DHS hospital partners say COVID-19 testing material have been diverted from Wisconsin.
- Up North News. COVID-19 tracing getting harder in Wisconsin because people lie about their contacts.
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. Three dead, 23 sickened in Pierce County outbreak; mass testing conducted Thursday.
- Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter. Wisconsin tribal casinos using UV light to 'kill' coronavirus, tech could work in schools.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Evers has about $300 million more federal aid he can spend to fight COVID-19.
- Racine Journal Times. After deaths at Racine County nursing home, Federal VA nurses called in to help.
- WAOW. State, national leaders speak out against diversion of testing supplies.
- Fox 6. 'Promising news:' Milwaukee County sees progress in COVID-19 fight, not enough to advance gating criteria.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. DHS: 943 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed on Thursday.
- UW-Eau Claire. Renovations illuminating for Haas Fine Arts Center venues.
- Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty. To Racine Unified: District must meet legal requirement to bus students to private schools.
- UW-Milwaukee. School of Architecture and Urban Planning welcomes Sarah Aziz and Lindsey Krug as 2020-21 Fitzhugh Scott Fellows.
- TransfertoVirtualSchool.com Wisconsin parents still have time to enroll their children in an established online charter school.
- NBC 15. WIAA opens door to playing fall sports in the spring.
- U.S. News & World Report. Foxconn's $100 million pledge to university largely unmet.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. 'Rather know that they're safe than have them in the classroom with me': Wisconsin teachers worry about face-to-face fall instruction.
- WQOW. Chippewa Falls School District reveals back-to-school plan.
- Fox 6. Oak Creek-Franklin schools to begin 2020-21 year virtually; return to in-person learning possible.
- WISN. Schools statewide wait for guidance on shutdown threshold.
- WISN. Board members, teachers targets of name-calling in back-to-school talks.
- WEAU. How a shortage of substitute teachers and bus drivers is affecting Wisconsin.
- CBS 58. Milwaukee Health Department says it has received reopening plans from more than two dozen schools .
- Wisconsin State Journal. UW-Madison still waiting on Foxconn's $100 million pledge two years later.
- Milwaukee County Sup. Clancy. Supports 25% cut to Sheriff's budget.
- Milwaukee County Exec. Crowley. Stands in solidarity with Milwaukee Art Museum workers union drive.
- Wisconsin AFL-CIO. Letter in support of Milwaukee Art Museum employees.
- MCTS. Announces detours ahead of DNC.
- ALCU of Wisconsin. Commends Waukesha County Jail for lifting religious text and practice restrictions in local jail.
- WTMJ. Wauwatosa Police Union: Members have no confidence in Mayor Dennis McBride.
- U.S. Rep. Steil. Announces innovative challenge for young coders in Wisconsin's First Congressional District.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin; Reps. Moore, Kind, Pocan. Call on President Trump to extend full federal funding for Wisconsin National Guard to fight COVID-19 pandemic.
- Reuters. Hopes for a fresh round of U.S. coronavirus relief fade as Congress goes home.
- AP. Lawmakers: Postal changes delay mail-order medicine for vets.
- CNBC. Coronavirus stimulus stalemate could drag on for weeks as Congress leaves town.
- Politico. Besieged on all sides, Ron Johnson says he probe 'would certainly' help Trump win reelection.
- Lowery for 37th Assembly. Only one candidate has pledged to vote against gerrymandering.
- The Hill. Postal service warns states it might miss some mail-in ballot deadlines.
- U.S. News & World Report. Trump's counter to Democratic Convention? Swing state trips.
- WUWM. 'My expectation is they're masking up,' Evers says about Trump's campaign visit to Wisconsin.
- WTMJ. One of the youngest ever state Assembly candidates running against 82-year-old incumbent.
- CBS 58. Local postal workers feel cuts and changes to USPS will slow down mail, election ballots.
- AP. Trump admits he's blocking postal cash to stop mail-in votes.
Thursday August 13, 2020
- Gov. Evers. Building Commission approves $65 million for key projects.
- Wisconsin Paper Council. Selects state Seator Patrick Testin as the trade association's "Legislator of the Year."
- Wisconsin Public Health Association, Wisconsin Association of Local Health Departments and Boards. Announce "2019-2020 Friends of Public Health."
- Rep. Hebl. Column: Voting in the time of COVID.
- Cap Times. Legislature releases records of Staush Gruszynski sexual harassment probe.
- DATCP. Wisconsin Farm to School Advisory Council nominations accepted through August 30.
- DOT. Drivers over age 60 have until November 23 to renew their license.
- WEDC. Governor's Blue Ribbon Commission on Rural Prosperity to meet Aug. 14.
- DOJ. Launches new incident-level criminal justice data dashboards.
- DNR. Ruffed grouse West Nile Virus test results now available.
- NFIB Wisconsin. Quadrennial problems and priorities survey ranks small business problems.
- WMC. What is the coolest thing made in Wisconsin?
- WRA, AASEW, Wisconsin Apartment Association. ICYMI: Helping Hands for Housing Landlord Coalition works to keep tenants in their homes.
- Reuters. U.S. weekly jobless claims drop below one million; labor market still weak.
- Fox 6. 'The system is not built for problems:' Attorneys point to Gov. Walker amid unemployment delays.
- Gov. Evers. Announces launch of COVID-19 Response and Recovery Investment Dashboard.
- Fox 9. Health official: 44% of Seneca plant's COVID-19 tests in Cumberland, Wis. return positive.
- Green Bay Press Gazette. 'Pretty ugly.' COVID-19 flares up in Marinette, Oconto counties as residents resist safety measures.
- The Hill. CDC director warns of 'worst fall' in history if people don't follow COVID-19 guidelines.
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. Over 700 in EC County currently quarantined; weekly new cases set another record.
- Marshfield News Herald. 'Failure of leadership': Sen. Tammy Baldwin questions Mike Pence about diversions of coronavirus testing supplies.
- NBC 26. Hospital visitors limited, case hospitalizations up in Fond du Lac Co.
- CNBC. Accuracy of U.S. coronavirus data thrown into question as decline in testing skews drop in new cases.
- Fox 11. 7-day average of coronavirus cases in Wisconsin falls; overall activity remains high.
- Spectrum News. Fond du Lac County seeing increase in coronavirus cases
- WXPR. Half of Wisconsin's wetlands to lose federal protection, conservation groups estimate.
- Security Health. Helping clients with essential supplies during trying times.
- Children's Wisconsin. 2020 Briggs & Al's Run & Walk goes virtual.
- We Are Many United Against Hate. Homegrown Hate & Domestic Terrorism.
- AP. Federal appeals court: Male-only draft is constitutional.
- Marquette University. Nursing professor named Ascension Wisconsin Sister Rosaline Klein Endowed Professor.
- UW-Stout. University, WITC partner on B.S. in management flexible degree.
- UW-Milwaukee. Pharmeceutical company licenses drug development compounds from UWM Research Foundation.
- MacIver Institute. Wisconsin school district employees pay on average $82 a month for health insurance single plan; $200 a month for family plan.
- UW-River Falls. Recent grad joins Pierce County Public Health as contact tracer.
- WCLO. Survey shows Janesville teachers oppose school district's reopening plan.
- CNBC. Coronavirus has upended school plans. It will also worsen racial and economic inequalities, experts warn.
- Fox 6. Days after Waukesha County hit record for new COVID-19 cases, district votes on school reopening plan.
- WTMJ. Private schools see dramatic spikes in enrollment amid virtual plans for public schools.
- U.S. News & World Report. UW-Madison chancellor: 'We're in a real financial crisis.'
- WBAY. Appleton Area School District to begin school year virtually.
- Adams County, Wisconsin County Forests Association. Establishes Wisconsin's 30th County Forest.
- Madison Mayor Rhodes-Conway. "Today the City mourns."
- Great Water Alliance. Federal financing means big savings for water ratepayers, Mayor says.
- Charter Communications. Outlines additional $100,000 contribution to support the City of Milwaukee and its residents.
- Madison Metro Sewerage District. Salt Savers training equips water softner professionals to cut the daily salt load to freshwater streams.
- MCTS. To adjust passenger limit starting Friday, August 14.
- Racine Mayor Mason. State of the City Address text.
- WSAW. City approves Wausau police task force to review policies.
- Fox 6. EPA announces $137M loan to Waukesha for Great Lakes Water Supply Project.
- WISN. Morgue ads refrigerated trailer as it exceeds capacity.
- Center for Media and Democracy. Watchdog groups call for ethics investigation of Senator Ron Johnson's misuse of committee to promote political disinformation.
- U.S. Rep. Grothman. Introduces bill to help alleviate excessive student loan debt.
- U.S. Sens. Baldwin, Murphy. Call on Congressional Budget Office to reexamine junk plans offered by private insurers.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. Joins Senate Democratic Caucus in urging USPS to fix delays and avoid cost increases for election mail.
- WTMJ. Senator Johnson on WTMJ: No new COVID-19 stimulus deal until current package is spent.
- Politico. Trump says he opposes USPS funding in an effort to block mail-in voting.
- AP. Warning on Russia adds questions about Senate's Biden probe.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wisconsin's congressional delegation mostly split by party on Trump's COVID executive orders.
- Fox 11. Johnson, Gallagher on Trump's unemployment executive order.
- Politico. Standoff over Covid relief could drag into September.
- WDIO. Congressman Tom Tiffany visits UWS; talks schools opening up.
- SEIU Wisconsin State Council. Celebrates primary victories of candidates who will put working people first.
- Voces de la Frontera Action. Appluds victories in Wisconsin partisan primaries; Looks to Biden and Harris for engagement in Wisconsin.
- ACLU of Wisconsin. Teams up with Milwaukee Bucks to increase voting participation, civic engagement in Wisconsin.
- Survival Coalition. Shares essential information on disability issues for candidates for public office. Background Papers.
- Lee for 14th Assembly. Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald endorses.
- Sargent for 16th Senate. Announces campaign endorsement from Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Sen. LaTonya Johnson calls fellow Milwaukee Democrat Lena Taylor 'toxic' after facing primary challenge.
- WISC. Absentee ballots account for 79 percent of votes cast in Madison as city sees higher voter turnout.
- Fox 11. President Trump expected to visit Oshkosh next week.
- U.S. News & World Report. Battle lines set for Wisconsin GOP's super-majority push. CBS 58.
- Beloit Daily News. Rock Co. officials forecast record turnout, poll worker shortage for Nov. 3 general election.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. An avalanche of absentee ballots, shorter lines for Tuesday's primary.