From The Wheeler Report Blog
In this week’s Wheelercast Gwyn and Dan talk about the timeline for Foxconn, the Assembly Substitute amendment, and consumer protection....
As published by The Wheeler Report (Gongwer News Service)– 10/13/1972… CONSUMER AFFAIRS COUNCIL TO ASK LEGISLATION ON MANDATORY CONSUMER EDUCATION...
Wednesday August 16, 2017 - Updated 5:00pm
- Gov. Walker. Moderates Foxconn roundtable discussion in Green Bay.
- Kenosha News. Counties affected by flooding fall short of threshold for federal emergency aid.
- Racine Journal Times. Gov. Walker requests disaster designation for Racine County flooding.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Schools gear up for new year without state funding set.
- Speaker Vos. Statement on Thursday's session.
- Wisconsin Medical Society. Testimony in opposition to Senate Bill 84/Assembly Bill 69.
- WPRI. Foxconn deal: Unprecedented decision, disparate opinions.
- Sen. Fitzgerald. Announces office hours at Dodge County Fair.
- Speaker's Task Force on Foster Care. To hold first public hearing in Wausau.
- Rep. Snyder. To hold first public hearing in Wausau.
- Madison Mayor Soglin. Statement on Foxconn deal.
- Rep. Felzkowski. Community development and broadband grant awards to the 35th District.
- Rep. Hintz. Column: Where will Wisconsin find the workers?
- Rep. Shankland. Column: Foxconn deal needs improvements to protect workers, taxpayers, and our natural resources.
- Cap Times. Mayor Paul Soglin calls $3 billion Foxconn incentive bill a 'terrible deal.'
- Cap Times. Wisconsin 'Three Percenters' group defends itself, Republican lawmaker defends visit.
- WBAY. Walker says tech college students will be needed for Foxconn jobs.
- Wisconsin Radio Network. Assembly schedules Thursday vote on Foxconn bill.
- Chicago Tribune. U.S. senator questions whether Wisconsin should bear full Foxconn cost. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- WEAU. Local group opposes Foxconn deal.
- Wisconsin Radio Network. Roth says Assembly action on Foxconn 'irrelevant.'
- Kenosha News. County Board backs Foxconn deal.
- DOT. Statewide "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" initiative begins Friday - runs through Labor Day.
- AG Schimel. Celebrates three successful years of Silver Alert, protecting the elderly.
- Wisconsin Historical Society. History on State: Fur trade in Wisconsin and the Great Lakes.
- MadREP. Inspire Initiative launches statewide to address workforce development needs.
- WEDC. 'Aerospace Jam' event with Milwaukee Bucks to connect top STEM students with aerospace industry.
- DOA. Community Development Block Grant funds available for storm damage rehabilitation.
- DNR. Weeekly news.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Scott Walker administration scales back fire sprinkler rule in second reversal on issue.
- Janesville Gazette. Wisconsin launches new effort to connect workers with jobs.
- U.S. News & World Report. Wisconsin property value increases largest since 2007.
- WMC. Nine companies win Business Friend of Environment Award.
- WMC. And Ogletree Deakins announce Human Resource Professional of the Year Awards.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wisconsin manufacturers, farmers and labor unions have much at stake with NAFTA negotiations.
- Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association. Wisconsin Community Health Centers receive $1M in quality improvement awards.
- WISC. Research shows de-escalation policies put officer safety at risk.
- Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty. Files two amicus briefs advocating for better judicial decision-making.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Does Wisconsin ban on Irish butter sales fail the smell test? Judge lets courts sort it out.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Estate of inmate who died of dehydration at Milwaukee County Jail files civil rights suit.
- MPS. Expands program connecting youth to jobs.
- UW-Madison. New research finds pushing patients to online care options may have unintended consequences.
- One Wisconsin Now. Student debt reform advocates unveil new online resource for borrowers.
- MPS. Launches new Black & Latino Male Achievement Department, hires staff.
- Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter. Manitowoc County Finance Committee will consider 0.5% sales tax.
- Green Bay Press-Gazette. Proposed Green Bay wheel tax runs out of gas.
- WKBT. Card skimmers found in Cashton.
- Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune. Wood County Board backs resolution in blow to potential new Enbridge pipeline.
- WUWM. Milwaukee mayor calls for sales tax increase to pay for public safety.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Mayor Barrett: Walker should reconsider rejecting Medicaid expansion.
- One Wisconsin Now. Gov. Scott Walker's refusal to disavow Donald Trump is not just cowardice, it is a pattern of behavior.
- DPW. ICYMI: Statement on the potential withholding of Wisconsin's ACA cost sharing reductions.
- U.S. Rep. Grothman. Announces August town hall meetings.
- Bryce for 1st Congress. Demands Speaker Paul Ryan censure President Trump over outrageous Charlottesville response.
- One Wisconsin Now. Scott Walker silence on Donald Trump racism deafening, Walker record speaks volumes.
- U.S. Rep. Moore. Calls for the removal of Donald Trump as President of the United States.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Johnson 'not entirely' comfortable with Trump's response to Charlottesville violence.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Amid latest Trump uproar, Wisconsin GOP politicians reluctant to criticize president directly.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Republican lawmaker: 'No place for these kinds of racists' in GOP party.
- AP. Top Wisconsin Republicans largely silent on Trump comments.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Donald Trump: Foxconn jobs could have 'positive impact on race relations.'
- WISN. U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore calls for impeachment of President Donald Trump.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Great Lakes scientists defend federal spending on research.
- Fox 6. "Reduce division:" Sen. Johnson says elected leaders have role to play after deadly rally in Charlottesville.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Paul Ryan criticizes Donald Trump, while Gwen Moore calls for his ouster.
- The Hill. Billboard ads target Republicans who want to roll back net neutrality.
- Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Report: Higher premiums if Trump halts 'Obamacare' subsidies.
- Kohl for 6th Congress. Glenn Grothman must speak out.
- Ryan for 1st Congress. Statement on Utah's special election.
- Blue Jean Nation. The taproot of our many problems.
- RPW. What they're saying: Republicans spend August highlighting Senator Baldwin's record defending the status quo.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Could 2018 be the 'year of women' in Wisconsin politics?
- The Hill. Club for Growth endorses Nicholson in Wisconsin GOP primary.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Leah Vukmir, Kevin Nicholson land key endorsements in GOP contest for U.S. Senate.
Tuesday August 15, 2017
- Gov. Walker. Requests SBA disaster declaration after July floods in southeast Wisconsin.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Economic slowdown could lurk ahead, Wisconsin officials warn.
- Rep. Neylon. Chairman Neylon of Assembly Jobs Committee issues statement on passage of Foxconn incentive bill.
- Sen. Vukmir. The time is now for Foxconn.
- Rep. Hintz. Fake news: Governor's surrogates scramble to obscure Foxconn facts.
- One Wisconsin Now. Confirmed: Scott Walker's $3 billion Foxconn subsidy is largest to a foreign company in American history.
- Rep. Gannon. Statement on Foxconn's impact on generational poverty.
- Rep. Anderson. Calls on Governor Walker to forcefully denounce white nationalists.
- Rep. Shankland. Honors Mike Biadasz Day.
- Rep. Barca. Calls on Republicans to ensure promises made in Foxconn deal are realized.
- Rep. Tittl. Votes in favor of Foxconn.
- Rep. Ohnstad. Disappointed Republicans refused common-sense changes to Foxconn deal.
- Rep. Steineke. Assembly Republicans strengthen Foxconn legislation.
- Rep. Crowley. Foxconn vote: It's hard to be the grown-ups in the room.
- Wisconsin Rapids Tribune. Wisconsin still hasn't run financial checks on Foxconn as $3 billion deal quickly advances.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Foxconn: 'Willingness to invest should not be questioned.'
- Racine Journal Times. Foxconn bill passes committee on party line vote. Wisconsin State Journal. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Cap Times.
- Washington Post. Trump is celebrating the Foxconn deal. The people paying for it aren't so sure.
- WXOW. Onalaska listening session sees little support for Foxconn deal.
- La Crosse Tribune. Area residents: Vote 'no' on Foxconn deal.
- DATCP. 'Something Special' companies dominate at State Fair Eats & Treats competition.
- WEDC. WEDC, regional organizations launch statewide initiative to address workfoce development needs.
- DOR. Equalized Values Report released.
- DCF. Launches Twitter account.
- WEDC. Krones to construct state-of-the art training and technology center.
- TDS Telecom. Caller ID spoofing is a popular (and costly) scam.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin wine industry is growing, thanks in part to cold-hardy grapes.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Generac to invest $73 million in Wisconsin facilities, add 400 jobs.
- La Crosse Tribune. Dynamic Recycling to add 140,000 square feet, 150 jobs with expansion.
- Beloit Daily News. High-tech U.S. plants offer jobs even as the laid-off struggle.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Complaint: Wisconsin bear hunters 'criminally harassing' wolves.
- Professional Dairy Producers Wisconsin. Dairy farmers host free ACE meetings & tours for the public.
- Wisconsin Women's Network. Lisa Pugh to be honored as a champion for women and girls.
- District I Court of Appeals. LIR Investments v. Steven Stokelbusch.
- NBC 15. Wisconsin appeals court fixes ruling doctor says caused harm.
- UW-Stout. Art professor's colorful works exhibited at three galleries.
- UW-Stout. Students receive transfer scholarships from honor society.
- Take Back Your Meds Milwaukee. How everyone can help combat the opioid crisis.
- MCTS. Get more than luck, save money with every ride.
- Various Milwaukee County Board Members. Condemn terrorist attack in Charlottesville.
- Portage Daily Register. 'Wheel tax' expected to roll $152,000 into Portage city budget in first year.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin congressional delegation condemns Charlottesville violence.
- McClatchy DC. Paul Ryan holding CNN town hall in Wisconsin district.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wisconsin seat on U.S. appeals court remains a symbol of partisan judicial wars.