From The Wheeler Report Blog
This week on #LocalGovMatters Gwyn sits down with Governor-elect Evers to talk about his transition, his upcoming budget, and his...
This week Gwyn interviews Office of Emergency Communications Director Tom Czaja and Next Gen 911/Broadband Program Manager Jessica Jimenez from...
Friday December 7, 2018 - Updated 3:19pm
- Gov.-elect Evers. And Lt. Gov.-elect Mandela Barnes announce Next Generation Workforce and Economic Development Policy Advisory Council.
- Fox 6. Governor Scott Walker holds out hope for another run at Kimberly-Clark.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Tony Evers say he will appoint UW regents who are independent thinkers, not 'acting as an employee of mine.'
- Fox 11. Evers visits Appleton, plans to talk to Walker about lame-duck legislation.
- Rep. Barca. Be consistent and be gracious, veto lame duck bills. Letter to Gov. Walker. Memo regarding budget vetoes.
- Various Organizations. Letter to Gov. Walker regarding veto of Extraordinary Session bills.
- Rep. August. Column: Protecting our reforms.
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards. Letter to Gov. Walker requesting veto of provisions of SB-884.
- Sen. Bewley. Don't buy the snake oil.
- Sen. Stroebel. Praises Senate, Assembly action.
- Common Cause in Wisconsin. Urge Governor Scott Walker to veto lame duck session legislation.
- Wisconsin's Green Fire. Statement on Extraordinary Session Substitute Amendment 1 to SB-884.
- Chicago Tribune. Bipartisan group appeals to Wisconsin governor to veto bills: 'What do you want your legacy to be?'
- U.S. News & World Report. Effort to weaken governor stirs separation-of-powers debate.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Sheldon Lubar says Scott Walker signing lame duck plans would 'destroy' him.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Lame-duck bill would change WEDC job verification requirements.
- Marshfield News Herald. Scott Walker says he regretted acting quickly with Act 10. He may do it again on lame-duck legislation.
- Janesville Gazette. Local clerks react to early-voting bill.
- USA Today. Wisconsin Legislature speaker: Skip the outrage. We're doing our job.
- WISC. What a lawsuit could mean for Democrats following GOP power-stripping measures.
- Green Bay Press-Gazette. GOP Sen. Robert Cowles: Party 'crossed the line' in limiting Tony Evers' powers.
- Sheboygan Press. Tony Evers urges business leaders in Appleton speech to back him against legislation limiting his powers.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Lame-duck session focus turns to what Scott Walker will do.
- U.S. News & World Report. GOP tries to hamstring incoming Democratic attorneys general.
- Reps. Steineke, Nygren, Steffen, Tauchen. Local lawmakers applaud federal funds for Hwy 29 interchange.
- Sen. Fitzgerald. Announces new communications director.
- Fox 11. Future of Kimberly-Clark still undecided following lame-duck session in Madison.
- Wisconsin Radio Network. No deal to save jobs at Neenah Kimberly Clark plant.
- WEDC. Wisconsin companies invited to take part in global trade venture to Mexico in February.
- ETF. New ETF drop box for documents.
- OCI. Administrative Actions November 2018.
- WBAY. Target 2 Investigates: State studies deregulating occupational licenses.
- CNBC. Dow tumbles more than 500 points, wipes out gain for the year to cap wild week on Wall Street.
- Reuters. U.S. job growth cools in November, monthly wage gains modest.
- League of Wisconsin Municipalities. Recruiting the new generation of local elected officials.
- Wisconsin Dental Association. Wisconsin dentists lead the fight against opioid addiction.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Health costs a burden for Wisconsin's middle-income families.
- WTMJ. FBI launches new campaign to identify public corruption.
- The Hill. CDC: Romaine lettuce still making people sick.
- WDIO. Report: U.S. health spending hits $3.5T but growth slows.
- Wisconsin Rapids Tribune. Census data: Minnesota beats Wisconsin on high-speed internet access, too.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Great Lakes Compact Council approves changes to rules guiding water diversions.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. State v. Faith N. Reed.
- UW-Platteville. Valedictorian works towards Doctor of Physical Therapy degree.
- UW-Platteville. To celebrate 201st commencement.
- Marquette University. Two Jesuits elected to Board of Trustees.
- UW System. Leadership commends UW-Stevens Point leadership at Regent meeting.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Board of Regents approve plan to pursue 6 percent pay increase for UW System employees.
- Milwaukee County Sheriff Schmidt. Sheriff's deputies, local police officers volunteer for 12th annual "Shop with a Cop."
- Milwaukee County Board Chairman Lipscomb. County moves to take control of jail medical services.
- Fox 6. 'A very large jump:' Suicide rate at an all-time high in Milwaukee County in 2017, with 156 deaths.
- U.S. Sens. Baldwin, Murkowski. Bipartisan legislation to improve access to maternity care in rural and underserved areas passes Senate.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. Announces nearly $20 million for Brown County highway project.
- Reuters. Congress approves short-term spending bill to avert government shutdown.
Thursday December 6, 2018
- WSAW. Evers, Barnes announce inauguration date, nonprofit partner.
- Americans for Prosperity-Wisconsin. Encourages Legislature to work with Evers on public defender reimbursement.
- LFB. December 2018 Extraordinary Session bills as passed by the Legislature.
- Rep. Macco. Statement on the Extraordinary Session.
- Bewley for 25th Senate. If they had done their jobs, they would have kept their jobs.
- Rep. Brandtjen. (Updated) Governor's power embedded in the constitution.
- Sen. Cowles. Statement on Extraordinary Session.
- Sen. Miller. Weekly Democratic radio address: Lame Lame-Duck Session.
- Sen. Carpenter. Governor Walker: What will your message to Gov.-elect Evers be?
- Sen. Darling. Democrats flip flop on pre-existing conditions.
- Sen. Marklein. Statement on and summary of the Legislature's Extraordinary Session.
- Milwaukee Ald. Zielinski. Lame-duck session measures not in tune with Milwaukee, region.
- AP. Appeals to Scott Walker: Don't stain legacy, veto bills.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Changes to state highway funding rules passed during lame-duck session.
- NBC 15. Wisconsin's Walker weighing bill signings.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. What the pre-existing conditions vote in Wisconsin's lame duck session means.
- Washington Post. Republicans in Wisconsin, Michigan push to curb power of newly-elected Democrats.
- New York Times. Wisconsin Republicans defiantly move to limit the power of incoming Democrats.
- Isthmus. Capitol "coup."
- The Hill. Dem senator accuses Wisconsin Republicans of 'power grab.'
- Fox 6. 'Wisconsin should be embarrassed:' Gov-elect Evers will ask Walker to veto lame-duck legislation. Wisconsin State Journal. WXOW. Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter.
- New York Times. Wisconsin, limiting governor, borrows a page from North Carolina's book.
- WKOW. Opponents consider lawsuits if lame-duck legislation becomes law.
- U.S. News & World Report. Democrat says he'll appeal to Walker to veto GOP power play. Cap Times.
- Fox 11. "Functioning government": State Democrats, Republicans react to lame-duck session.
- Governing. Lame-duck power grabs aren't new, but Republicans in Wisconsin and Michigan are 'more aggressive.'
- WISC. How Wisconsin Republicans changed lame-duck session bills before passing them Thursday.
- WTMJ. Ozaukee County voters weigh in on governor/attorney general power limitations.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. During marathon session, Republicans pass legislation bringing health care changes.
- Cap Times. Wisconsin's extraordinary session: Is absentee voting in Wisconsin a fairness issue?
- Racine Journal Times. Racine area officials respond to special session.
- Daily Reporter. Highlights of bills passed by Wisconsin Republicans.
- Appleton Post Crescent. Wisconsin lawmakers reject bill to protect pre-existing conditions, scale back Democrats' power. NBC 15.
- DNR. Outdoor Report.
- Wisconsin Lottery. Holly Jolly winning ticket sold in Marinette County.
- DWD. Awards Wisconsin Fast Forward Grants to six technical colleges.
- OCI. Consumer alert: Phone solicitation for health insurance plans.
- DHS. CMS approves temporary extension of SeniorCare.
- Wisconsin Lottery. Asks players to gift responsibly this holiday season.
- WEDC. Foxconn's investment in Wisconsin named 'Deal of the Year' by Mid-America Economic Development Council.
- WEC Energy Group. Announces plans to increase dividend.
- Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty. Reform federal disability insurance to help address Wisconsin's labor shortage.
- Reuters. U.S. trade deficit hits 10-year high; job growth slowing.
- CNBC. Dow drops more than 550 points, bringing its 2-day losses to more than 1,300 points.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. WEDC, MMAC say DRS expansion is a win for region.
- Reuters. Tariff effects broaden across U.S., wage growth higher: Fed.
- WDIO. Economist: Shortage of skilled workers curbs Midwest economy.
- Chippewa Herald. Census: Wisconsin incomes up, poverty down; digital divide yawns.
- WKBT. Many diabetics are skimping on insulin because of high cost.
- The Hill. Carbon emissions to hit record high in 2018: study.
- UW System. Regents approve 3% annual increases in 2019-21 pay plan.
- UW-Madison. Engineering students design sustainable system for rural school.
- Forest County Potawatomi Community. Potawatomi take aggressive steps to end opioid abuse in Forest County.
- E.M. Wasylik Associates. Celebrates 20th anniversary.
- WJFW. Opioid deaths lead Forest Co. Potawatomi to launch major ad, law enforcement campaign.