From The Wheeler Report Blog
WEEK IN REVIEW Milwaukee Democratic Legislative Caucus sent a letter to JFC co-chairs on shared revenue. Release. Joint Finance Democrats...
Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Daniel Zimmerman says he is not surprised there are a lot of great people who...
Monday March 27, 2017 - Updated 4:07pm
- Gov. Walker. Announces Fast Forward worker training grants covering health care.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Gov. Walker eyes report cards for all schools.
- WISC. Gov. Walker on health care vote; Move forward to tax reform.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Walker: Firearms not the problem in this week's high-profile shootings.
- Racine Journal Times. UW-Parkside deemed loser in state budget.
- WBAY. Governor pomotes education budget in Michicot.
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. Editorial: Road funding falls short.
- Cap Times. UW: Scott Walker proposal to expand Flexible Option program doesn't include needed funding.
- Rep. Ballweg. Announces spring listening sessions.
- Lutheran Office for Public Policy in Wisconsin. Constitutional convention - opening a dangerous can of worms.
- Rep. Shankland. To hold Civic Engagement 101 workshop.
- Wisconsin Justice Initiative. Say "no" to constitutional convention.
- U.S. News & World Report. Finance committee vote on eliminating child work permits.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Opiate epidemic targeted in bills before Wisconsin lawmakers.
- Fox 11. State lawmakers target adults who host underage drinkers.
- Janesville Gazette. Legislators poised to order audit of UW foundations.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wisconsin legislator aims to get rid of state's 'tampon tax.'
- WISN. Republican state lawmaker wants to toughen drunken driving penalties.
- Wisconsin Ag Connection. Committees okay bills to make cheese official dairy product.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Assembly committee kicks off hearings on urban revitalization.
- Cap Times. 'I was able to put my life back together:' Rep. Jimmy Anderson shares personal perspective on ACA.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wisconsin allows 3M to settle pollution case without paying fine.
- Fox 11. Wisconsin looks to improve emergency communications network.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. New state veterans secretary is Iraq War vet.
- Oshkosh Northwestern. Truck maker Oshkosh Corp. among U.S. companies sanctioned by Iran.
- NBC 26. GameStop closing up to 190 stores.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Oscar Mayer's demise in Madison gets 3-month reprieve.
- Racine Journal Times. Editorial: Immigration crackdown stirs dairy state fears.
- Wisconsin Farmers Union. To host Produce Safety rule training in Green Bay.
- DeWitt Ross & Stevens. Two litigators included in top 100 trial lawers in Wisconsin for 2017.
- Alliance of Health Insurers. Health insurance in Wisconsin and federal health care changes - March, 29, 2017.
- American Council of Engineering Companies of Wisconsin. Kenosha WWTP: Energy Optimized Resource Recovery and Donohue & Associates, Inc. receive top honor.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Wisconsin doctors must check patient history before prescribing opioids, other drugs.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance rows against hyperpartisan current.
- Wisconsin Democracy Campaign. Urges adoption of stricter judicial recusal rule.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Democrats file complaint against Supreme Court justice over GOP promotion.
- U.S. News & World Report. Wisconsin makes legal arguments in redistricting appeal.
- UW-Rock County. Summer sessions registration now open.
- UW-Madison. Cracking the WIP: Wausau manufacuturer boosts output with help of UW class.
- UW-Madison. Science Expeditions invites everyone to campus March 31 to April 2.
- UW-Madison. Enzyme structures illuminate mechanism behind bacteria's bioremediation prowess.
- WISC. Wisconsin schools teach penmanship despite standards change.
- Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Wisconsin voters to field 65 school district requests.
- Dane County Sup. de Felice. Retires from county board.
- Milwaukee Ald. Donovan. Decent and determined citizens prevail in court against alleged nuisance landlord.
- Racine Mayor Dickert. Announces resignation.
- Public Policy Forum. Report says flexible and on-demand transit services could help address the "last mile" problem in metro Milwaukee.
- Milwaukee County Sheriff Clarke. Operation Drive Sober results in 9 arrests.
- Racine Journal Times. State Rep. Cory Mason to run for mayor.
- CBS 58. Bail controversy re-ignited in wake of murder of Milwaukee City Inspector.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Milwaukee area trails counterparts in population growth.
- Beloit Daily News. Ripples from U.S. nuclear plant closings overwhelm small towns.
- Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs. President Trump signs Johnson, Alexander resolution into law to repeal burdensome blacklisting rule.
- U.S. Rep. Pocan. Forty members of Congress tell Trump to apologize to Obama over baseless wiretapping lies.
- Citizen Action of Wisconsin. With repeal efforts on hold for now, deliberate sabotage threatens health coverage.
- RPW. Judge Gorsuch's hearing shows he's right for the job.
- U.S. Rep. Kind. Fighting for fair treatment for parents of deceased students.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. Cosponsors legislation to overhaul broken VA appeals process.
- Reuters. U.S. attorney general says sanctuary cities may see federal grants cuts.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wisconsin GOP House members spared from difficult health care vote.
- Appleton Post-Crescent. Tammy Baldwin reintroduces 'Buy America' legislation.
- La Crosse Tribune. Trump cuts imperil WTC jobs program that supports city revitalization.
- Evers for State Superintendent. On track to double fundraising of 2013 campaign.
- Walker for Governor. What They're Saying: Wisconsin economy headed in right direction under Gov. Walker's bold conservative leadership.
- Wisconsin United to Amend. Nine communities to vote to reclaim democracy from moneyed interests.
- Cap Times. Provocative conservative PAC sees Wisconsin Senate race as a 2018 priority.
- Walworth County Today. Election: Holtz in superintendent race.
- Cap Times. Democratic candidate for governor explains his 'far-fetched' plans.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wisconsin Democrats have chance at Gov. Scott Walker but no candidate.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. DPI race between Tony Evers, Lowell Holtz centers on future of education in Wisconsin.
Friday March 24, 2017
- Gov. Walker. Issues statement applauding the presidential approval of the Keystone XL Pipeline.
- Gov. Walker. Declares Badger Red Day, proposes friendly wager with Florida Governor Rick Scott.
- Fox 11. Walker declares Badger Red Day, places wager with Florida governor.
- Gov. Walker. Highlights K-12 education investments at Lincoln High School in Wisconsin Rapids.
- Rep. Shankland. Memo reveals Walker's budget creates $1 billion structural deficit.
- AAUW-Appleton, GBA4PE, FCA4PE. Statement on 2017-19 biennial budget.
- Gov. Walker. Highlights K-12 education investments in visit Bradley Technology High School in Milwaukee.
- Gov. Walker. Discusses historic K-12 education investments at Mishicot High School.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Why a $1 billion shortfall looks like progress under Gov. Scott Walker's budget.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Fiscal bureau: Scott Walker's budget leaves $1.1 billion hole starting in 2019.
- Racine Journal Times. Rebecca Blank: Money for UW tuition cut better spent on targeted aid.
- Rep. Taylor. Constitution interrupted.
- Rep. Loudenbeck. Announces budget listening sessions.
- Beloit Daily News. Wisconsin lawmakers target lawmaking to lobbying path. Wisconsin State Journal.
- Racine Journal Times. Dover couple's court battle prompts legislation on assessments.
- Fox 11. Fox 11 Investigates: Lawmaker creates plan to redevelop Green Bay Correctional Institution.
- Sun Prairie Star. Hebl reintroduces fair courts package.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Critics say GOP skipping debate on bill deregulating wells linked to shrinking lakes.
- Fox 6. Tearful testimony: Mother whose son was killed by drunk driver pushed for harsher OWI laws.
- DATCP. Applcations accepted through April 14 for Dairy Processor Grants.
- DNR. Hearings and meetings, March 27-April 2.
- DNR. Outdoor Report.
- American Family Insurance. Begins Wisconsin's largest rooftop solar installation at National Headquarters.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Gummy bear giant Haribo to build first North American plant in Pleasant Prairie with 400 jobs.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Private sector job growth strong in Wisconsin to start 2017.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin's slow population growth continued in 2016, census data shows.
- AG Schimel. Files brief in Whitford v. Gill.
- Barron County Democrats. Ethics complaint filed against Justice Gableman regarding partisan fundraiser. Judicial Commission Complaint.
- UW-Stout. Speaker to discuss freedom of expression March 27 on campus.
- UW-Stout. University's online academic programs recieve recognition.
- UW-Madison. With quirky photo project, student captures breadth, variety of campus libraries.
- DOJ. Update: Wausau shooting.
- Milwaukee County Sheriff Clarke. Comments on senseless murder of city building inspector.
- Rep. Sinicki. Milwaukee legislators express condolences over death of Greg Zyskiewicz.
- Milwaukee Ald. Zielinski. Murder of city worker hits close to home.
- Fond du Lac Reporter. Nengmy Vang, 45, ID'd as suspect in shooting spree.
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. Police: Wisconsin rampage began with domestic dispute.
- Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin. Statement on ACA repeal bill.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. Announces "Buy America" legislation.
- U.S. Rep. Kind. Statement on House Republican leadership's decision to pull the health care bill.
- U.S. Rep. Sensenbrenner. Statement regarding the ACHA.
- Rep. Stuck. Calls on Congressman Mike Gallagher to stand with northeast Wisconsinites against the Ryan/Trump healthcare plan.
- U.S. Rep. Pocan. Defeat of Trumpcare today, a victory for grassroots opposition.
- Wisconsin Council on Children & Families. Consumer advocates blast the latest changes to ACA repeal bill.
- WPHCA. Wisconsin Community Health Centers oppose the American Health Care Act.
- Reuters. Republicans pull healthcare legislation plan in blow to Trump.
- USA Today. Republicans scramble to round up votes for Obamacare repeal.
- Cap Times. Dane County could lose millions if federal grant program is cut, Joe Parisi estimates.
- The Hill. Trump delivers ultimatum to GOP on ObamaCare repeal.
- Reuters. Trump preparing orders to review trade deals, procurement: officials.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Wisconsin Hospital Association critical of health care bill.
- Daily Reporter. AP sources: U.S. to approve Keystone XL pipeline.
- Janesville Gazette. White House, in gamble, demands make-or-break health vote.
- Milwaukee Business Journal. Kohl's CEO: Border adjustment tax will have 'massive impact' on customers.
- WEAU. Duffy: "50-50 shot" GOP health care plan passes.
- One Wisconsin Now. Unveils online activist calendar.
- Walker for Governor. ICYMI: Gov. Walker makes sweet jobs announcement.
- Constutition Party of Wisconsin. The case for restricting Muslim immigration.
- Cap Times. Is Dane County Exec. Joe Parisi running for governor in 2018? He'll decide within a month.